Sunday, March 4, 2018

Just As I Am ~ Hymn Story




In 1828, at the age of 32, Charlotte Elliott suffered a serious illness that left her an invalid. This caused depression, and a severe spiritual crisis. A Swiss evangelist was visiting her family, and she told him that she didn’t know how to come to Christ. He told her, “Come to him just as you are.” Her depression continued, however. Twelve years later, she was still distressed by her uselessness as an invalid.  She decided she needed to meet her spiritual troubles head on and conquer them by the grace of God.  She wrote down her own formula of faith,  remembering those words of the visiting evangelist. In the end she had the words to the hymn known as "Just As I Am".

In Billy Graham's own words:
When I was converted in 1937, under the ministry of the evangelist Mordecai Hamm, two invitation songs were used and a total of eight stanzas were sung. I did not respond to the invitation until the final verse of the second song, and I have always been grateful that the evangelist waited so patiently. One of those hymns was "Just As I Am, Without One Plea". 

Billy used this hymn at most all of his crusades as people came forward to give their lives to Jesus. A woman who felt useless, penned the words to this hymn that have touched millions of lives. Billy Graham’s autobiography is titled “Just As I Am”.

It truly amazes me how God works in our lives. All we have to do is have a willing heart and follow His leading. What do you enjoy doing? Do you write poetry; music; devotions? Are you artistic; do you cook? I enjoy making digital graphics with scripture and hymns, and I enjoy photography and vintage images. Piano, Hymns, and scripture were instilled in me from the time I was a toddler. God had plans for all of this. One of His plans is right here in this online ministry - Little Birdie Blessings.

Who am I to be used by God? I'm a nobody. Poor life choices kept me from college. Ill health, insecurities and anxiety gave me a feeling of uselessness, just like Charlotte Elliott.

If God can use a “useless invalid” like Charlotte Elliott, He can use us. Ask Him how He can use you and your gifts/talents.

God doesn't call the qualified, 

he qualifies the called. 

I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
John 15:5

Thank you dear ones for visiting. Feel free to save this hymn graphic and use for personal or ministry use.


10 comments:

  1. I love this story! Thanks for sharing-very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Abby. I did not know the story behind this song; thank you for sharing it. And thank you for the reminder that when He calls me to a task, He will equip me with what I need to accomplish it, Have a blessed day as you walk with Him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your ministry it inspires me. I love reading the story behind hymns. Thank you for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness... this is beautifully touching. Thank you so much for sharing this story, Abby.

    Precious Charlotte may have felt useless, at the time, but The Lord works in such wondrous, amazing ways... Her very words were used to draw, most likely, millions of people to be saved! How precious! And now, she can stand at the gate of Heaven and usher them in!

    Thank you for sharing the love of Christ here and inspiring me in my daily walk with our Lord! Blessings on your day! Net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post, Abby! Thanks for sharing the stories of Charlotte Elliot, Billy Graham, and yourself. This should encourage anybody. It helped me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These great hymns of the church have amazing, inspiring stories behind them. I remember this one so well from watching all those Billy Graham crusades. It certainly makes a perfect song for an altar call.

    I liked what Ned Graham said about his father. For a second, I was shocked that he called his father “FAT.” But the acronym was wonderful: faithful, available, and teachable. It would be a blessing to be all those things. You already are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the encouragement!! I was needing it and appreciate prayers of anyone who would feel so led. God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this beautiful post, now so timely following the death of Billy Graham, probably one of, if not the greatest evangelist ever. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Abby. I love how you present the graphics and back grounds of these hymns, which I so love
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.